The Snorkeler Diver Course is designed to give students the necessary skills to efficiently snorkel in conditions similar to their training without the direct supervision of an instructor.
Snorkeling is the use of mask fins and snorkel to primarily swim on the surface while being able to keep your face in the water without having to lift your head to breathe. Periodically you may dive below the surface for a short period of time to exam something closer.
What you can expect to learn in this course:
The Snorkeler Diver course takes an in-depth look at all of the following and more:
The aquatic environment
- Heat loss
- Marine life injuries
Physics and physiology
- Equalization techniques
- Mask, fins, and snorkel
- Exposure protection
- Buoyancy compensator device
- Weight systems
- Dive flag
- Rescue signal
- Knife or cutting device
Planning your dive
- Diver fitness and overexertion
- Buddy system
- First aid
Some of the required skills you will have to demonstrate include:
- Properly prepare, don, and adjust all snorkeling equipment
- Perform a buddy check, and demonstrate good use of the buddy system
- Safely conduct exits and entries either from land, or boat
- Achieve neutral buoyancy
- Proper breathing and clearing of a snorkel
- Proper use of buoyancy compensator device/snorkel vest
- Surface dives
- Proper use of hand signals
What’s in it for you?
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may engage in snorkeling activities without direct supervision of the Instructor* so long as the following limits are adhered to:
- The diving activities approximate those of training
- The areas of activities approximate those of training
- Environmental conditions approximate those of training
*Note: Junior snorkelers (ages 4-14) must participate in snorkeling activities with a parent, guardian, or dive professional.
Snorkeler Diver minimum requirements:
- Complete all open water requirements efficiently
- Demonstrate mature and sound judgment concerning dive planning and execution
How do I take this course?
- This class can be arranged whenever pool time and an instructor are available use info@NewEnglandDive.com or call 203.284.1880 to schedule your class now!
- Course Cost: $99 USD
Minimum age 18, 4 with parental consent